On July 31st I had my tonsils savagely ripped from my throat and placed in the garbage. What sort of cruel world do we live in where people walk into these torture chambers (called hospitals), willingly sign the consent forms saying they acknowledge that they could "die" from the procedure and won't sue the doctor, and then allow themselves to be put to sleep while crazed doctors and their sidekick nurses go to town cutting into their bodies? It is our world! We are the people who sit by and let these things happen. the Doctors and Nurses could very well be vacationing in Hawaii during our painful recoveries. They give us drugs like Percoet and Loratab to keep us happy until the pain subsides, but what we don't realize is that we're given just enough medicine to keep us happy for like 4-5 days, and the pain doesn't stop that early. No my friends, the pain rarely stops that early.
I stumbled across this website before my surgery and boy did the advice on it help! Most people think that tonsil removal for an adult would be easy, but let me assure you that it is quite difficult.
I am so grateful that Levi took a week off work to take care of me and the kids through the most difficult stage of my recovery. He was wonderful! He made sure I stayed hydrated, ate at least a little food, and kept me up on my meds. He took complete care of the kids, the cat and the house as well. By the end of the week, he was anxious to get back to work! I imagine that he found homemaking life a bit more challenging then he expected. :) Thank you Levi!
Saturday, August 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Dang girl! I hope it was absolutely necessary to have your tonsils taken out. It IS rough to have them out as an adult and recovery is slow and painful. The only reason I know is because I have pockets in my tonsils from when I got mono in college and the pockets fill up with tartar and have to be hose out a couple of times a week with a water pick. I went to a doctor a few years ago to see about having them removed because my infections always center in my tonsils, and the doctor told me he didn't recommend it unless it was absolutely necessary. I skipped out of his office feeling like I had dodged a bullet. I'll just clean my tonsils out, thanks. Gross, but better than the alternative.
I hope you are feeling much better. You are a brave, brave woman. You have my complete sympathy! HUGS!
For more information about tonsillectomy and related treatment options visit http://www.itonsil.com
Hope you are feeling better! No fun.
Your writing is so entertaining. I hope you are feeling better!!!
You have had a rough couple of years with health-- I am soooo sorry you are suffering so much. Scott had his out about 9 years ago and I thought he as goign to die- it was aweful and I think he still feels it would be better to be dead than have it again- so hang in there:)
I'm glad you are doing well now. When you are all recovered let me know and we'll have to get together.
I'd like to thank everyone for your encouraging words. I am feeling much better and I'm grateful that this experience is behind me now. I had the surgery because I have been having constant tonsil pain for the last 9 1/2 months (it started a couple weeks before Ian was born). My health was also poor in general, and my immune system couldn't seem to keep me healthy. I had two doctors that both felt that the tonsils should be removed. The night before the surgery I almost chickened out. I called my mother to see what she thought. She said that I had forgotten how it felt like to be healthy. My goodness she was so right. She convinced me to stick with the surgery and that things would work out just fine. As always, she was right.
Thank you again to everyone for keeping me in your thoughts. If any of you have to have your tonsils out as an adult, please don't ask me about my experience, as I just might tell you the truth and that might freak you out.
Post a Comment